Sleep is one of the most important factors for maintaining a youthful appearance. As you sleep, your body repairs itself, rebuilding your skin for a more youthful appearance.
The key is to sleep for at least 7-9 hours every night. Everybody is familiar with the term “beauty sleep,” but do you really know what it means?
Research reveals that when people sleep well and take good care of themselves, they tend to be younger-looking, happier and more alert.
Here are some of the major reasons why beauty sleep is so vital for your health:
- Fewer Wrinkles – Getting a good amount of sleep doesn’t just keep your body in sync and your mind refresh, but it also helps you develop fewer wrinkles. As you sleep, the skin makes new collagen which is responsible for preventing sagging.
- Get a Glowing Complexion – Your body boosts the flow of blood to the skin as you sleep. This means that you wake up to healthier skin. Your complexion can start to look drab when you skimp on sleep.
- Cure Dark Circles – Dark circles is one of the biggest obstacles in achieving a youthful appearance. If you use foundation and concealer, you can hide your dark circles temporarily, however, there is a permanent fix to your issue. You should always opt for a minimum of 7-8 hours of sleep a night to combat dark circles. This is the best way to get rid of dark circles and retain your skin’s health.
- Reduce Swelling and Inflammation – After a restless night, undereye puffiness is not something you’re just imagining. You may notice excess fluid known as edema and enhanced inflammation in your body and some swelling. Your body gets time to decrease the inflammation when you have enough sleep. Cortisol which is a stress hormone is also produced more when there is a lack of sleep. People who have underlying skin issues like eczema, psoriasis, and acne should be more careful about their sleep habits as they can make the irritation and inflammation worse.
- Decrease the Process of Aging – Hiding one’s age is a thing that all of us have done at one point in time or the other. But can your skin hide your age, too? The lines of the face are sufficient proof to reveal the age. You should get enough sleep in order to lower the process of aging and make your skin look glowing. Failing to get enough sleep can lead to small breakdowns every day and it cannot be reversed overnight. That is why beauty sleep is essential.
- Managing Weight – Sleep also helps with weight management. Sleep makes you feel less hungry. In fact, your body burns fat when you are in deep sleep or in slow wave sleep. Those who sleep for 7 hours and more, every night, have much fewer chances of gaining weight than those who snooze for 5 or fewer hours.
Having a sound sleep each night is essential. If you are not able to sleep well at night you should consult with a reputable sleep apnea doctor without delay so that any underlying ailment can be detected and treated.