This delicious and sweet snack is a proven crowd-pleaser, even among non-vegans. Get creative and substitute the chocolate chips with dry fruit, nuts or apples for a healthier meal choice.
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (like almond, coconut or soy)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups pastry flour (or sift regular flour)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt (optional)
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips (most gluten-free chocolate chip brands are also vegan)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Line a muffin tin with paper liners (or grease tin)
- Mix together milk and vinegar and set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients and create a dent in the center.
- Pour the milk mixture, applesauce, oil and vanilla extract in dent. Mix together until just moistened.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and nuts.
- Spoon out even mixture of batter into each muffin cup. Bake for about 25-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.